Today I want to touch on natural treatments. Now please note that I DO NOT recommend anyone stop their medications, or other treatments. Always ask a doctor before you make any treatment changes. These natural treatments were meant to be added on to your regular regimen to help enhance your current treatment.
The following are natural ways to relieve common side effects and symptoms of
Epilepsy and AED's (Antiepileptic Drugs/ Anticonvulsants). You can find most of these products at your local grocery store, vitamin shop, or YoungLiving.org. The oils I am featuring are all from Young Living, as they have the most pure and high quality products at reasonable prices. These are just a few of the oils that I treasure and use most often. I will give a link below if you are interested in more oils to suit your needs and side effects that you wish to be rid of.
I have personally been using these oils for 3 years (actually, probably a little over 3 years) and over time I have noticed a huge difference in my health. Of course, with Epilepsy, we all fall down time to time. But overall, my health has changed in such a wonderful way with the use of these oils along with my VNS and medical treatments. I actually prefer many of these oils, such as peppermint oil over pain killers and stress-relief medications.
1. Peppermint (Mentha piperita) has a strong, clean, fresh, minty aroma. One of the oldest and most highly regarded herbs for soothing digestion, it may also restore digestive efficiency. Jean Valnet MD studied peppermint's supportive effect on the liver and respiratory systems. Other scientists have also researched peppermint's role in improving taste and smell when inhaled. Dr. William N. Dember of the University of Cincinnati studied peppermint's ability to improve concentration and mental sharpness. Alan Hirsch MD studied peppermint's ability to directly affect the brain's satiety center, which triggers a sensation of fullness after meals. This powerful essential oil is often diluted before topical application.
To treat a stomach ache of almost any kind, simply add two drops of Young Living peppermind oil into 8-16 oz. of cool water and slowly sip throughout the hour until your water is gone... and voila! You will feel your stomach being cooled down, and your stomach ache will be relieved.
You can apply peppermint directly to your head, belly, or anywhere you are having pains; even in the mouth! You may want to use a carrier oil such as coconut oil, almond oil, etc. if you have sensitive skin.
Often, when it comes to Epilepsy, migraines come often and can be very harsh. So peppermint is something that every person with Epilepsy should keep in their medicine cabinet.
2. Oregano (Origanum vulgare, Origanum onites, Origanum minutiflorum, Origanum majorana) is one of the most powerful and versatile essential oils. It contains strong immune-enhancing and antioxidant properties and supports the respiratory system. Oregano may also be used to enhance the flavor of food (a wonderful extra, I might add). Oregano is also a key oil used in the Raindrop Technique, a massage application of essential oils, which is designed to bring about electrical alignment in the body.
You may find that many AED's cause your immune system to take a plunge. You may experience colds or flus often, or even UTI's or yeast infections. Oregano is perfect for helping your body get back on track to naturally treat and prevent these ailments. Simply put two drops of oregano into a capsule or cup of water and drink it. You probably want to do this all at once to get it's full effects.
3. Valor® is an empowering combination of therapeutic-grade essential oils that works with both the physical and spiritual aspects of the body to increase feelings of strength, courage, and self-esteem in the face of adversity. Renowned for its strengthening qualities, Valor enhances an individual's internal resources. It has also been found to help energy alignment in the body.
It contains some of the most powerful ingredients: Spruce (Picea mariana), rosewood (Aniba rosaeodora), blue tansy (Tanacetum annuum) and frankincense (Boswellia carteri) in a base of almond oil to reduce any allergic reactions for people with extremely sensitive skin. You can buy this product in a roll-on.
I find Valor to be most helpful when I feel a migraine or seizure coming on. Rolled on near the back of my head over the area where my brain stem would be, all across my forehead and behind my ears. It gets rid of that tired/sick feeling, and brings back my vitality.
4. Thieves® was created based on research about four thieves in France who covered themselves with cloves, rosemary, and other aromatics while robbing plague victims. This proprietary essential oil blend was university tested for its cleansing abilities. It is highly effective in supporting the immune system and good health.
Thieves is a great natural way to help shield you from the germs you come across daily, especially if you have a bad immune system from taking drugs such as Felbatol, Trileptal, etc. like myself. Thieves comes in a lot of different forms when brought from young living, including a natural hand sanitizer. I keep my bottle in my purse and take it wherever I go. It has honestly kept me from catching sicknesses including H1N1 - My mother had it for 2 weeks, and I didn't catch it! How cool is that?
You can put Thieves on externally, and even drink it in a glass of water. Tastes far better than many oils out there, so I recommend giving this one a try. This is probably my favorite oil of them all.
Thieves includes extremely powerful ingredients: Clove (Syzygium aromaticum), lemon (Citrus limon), cinnamon (Cinnamomum verum), Eucalyptus radiata and rosemary (Rosmarinus officinalis CT 1,8 cineol).
Not to mention *this is just something cool I wanted to add* it smells really, really good. Around Christmas time my mother loves to spray Thieves on our Christmas tree and in an oil diffuser to give our house this wonderful cinnamon smell. Awesome product.
5. Lemongrass (Cymbopogon flexuosus) has a light, fresh, citrus aroma with earthy undertones. Refreshing, rejuvenating, stimulating, and balancing, it inspires and improves mental clarity. Lemongrass also supports the circulatory system and has a score of 17,765 on the antioxidant ORAC scale. Research was published in the Phytotherapy Research Journal regarding the powerful properties of topically applied lemongrass.
I find Lemongrass to be best used externally around the skull, and it definitely enhances my brain activity (in a good way). Used with peppermint, lemongrass oil is a seizure killer and really calms my mood when I am feeling anxious or upset. Stress is a number one cause of seizures, so it is always important to manage it as it comes on.
6. Fish Oil - Take fish oil regularly to help prevent seizures. Adding Omega-3 and Omega-6 fatty acids to your regular diet can help your central nervous system function better and can even reduce the occurrence of epileptic seizures. Omega acids can be found in cold-water fish, including salmon (my favorite), and can also be found in supplement form at basically any vitamin shop or grocery store. Consume 5 mg of Omega-3 and 6 at breakfast every day to help reduce seizure activity.
I hope you have enjoyed this blog. Please know that I am in no way advertising for the above listed companies. I only enjoy their products and wish to share them with you all. Please check them out, give them a try and see how these little additions to your diet and daily regimen can reduce your seizures and help you live well with Epilepsy.
The oils above are only some of the oils that I love. To see more from young living please go to http://YoungLiving.org . There are oils that help everything from menstrual cramps to joint aches to prostate health and so on. You'd be surprised how well they work if you are simply willing to stick to a daily regimen of oils along with your current treatment. You will see that it truly is possible to live well with Epilepsy.
My Life as Mandy can now be viewed from the WebOS app called "My Feeds FREE". It's a free app that can be found on any WebOS phone, including the Palm Pre. Simply add your Google account connected with your Blogger, and view all of your favorite blog feeds!
|EpilepsyBlogger Designs Shop - 100% August comission goes to Epilepsy Foundation of America!|